Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Wanderer

Am I going through some type of quarter life crisis? I am not the same person I was a year ago, or two years ago, when I was scared to move to Los Angeles. At the time I wondered what I would do without my group of 25 friends and pub crawls and Arizona desert, the warm fluff of my dog, the summer heat.

I never thought I'd end up here in Los Angeles. And this is not to say I WILL end up here, as life is still happening and I am so young. But some days I wake up and wonder how I got here. And even more -- I wonder how I am so happy here, in this place that I always brushed off as a less than idealistic place to live. I always dreamed of Chicago! New York! Washington, D.C.! In my tunnel vision point of view, life had more to offer than this sprawling concrete city by the sea, and yet--and yet--Los Angeles crept upon me and these days I am glad to be here. Happy to have my red beach cruiser. Happy to be in charming Brentwood. Happy to wake up early in the morning, not because of insomnia or noise but due to the sunlight leaking through my blinds.

But still...I wonder what else is out there.

I told a friend I thought about moving, and she said, "Jo, what's the worse that could happen? You moved to Los Angeles and the worse did happen [the break up] and you're so much better off for it!

It was a sink or swim situation and I swam. I flew.

No comments: