Monday, June 2, 2008

My life is good.

I am home. Home.

That's a strange thing to say, considering that I have been feeling so restless lately and am not quite sure where my home is. I have many. I think, for the rest of my life, I will consider the east coast partially a home, considering I still miss it, and that it's had such an impact on me. Arizona is home because the people I love are there. Los Angeles is home because I live there now. Home is where the heart is and I love many people in many states and even across the Atlantic.

But I am home, in whichever definition of the word you choose to use, and I was content to land in Los Angeles. To feel the mid-70s weather, perfection on my skin. To see my roommate wiggle and wind her car through LAX traffic to fetch me. To smell my apartment. To stock my fridge with salads and veggies after a week of too much pizza, to close my eyes to the softness of my own bed.

And I will be home for the next four to six weeks. I am not sure when the last time is I have been home for even two or three weeks in a row, so this is truly something for me to enjoy! I must soak this time up like a sponge, enjoy the simplicity of it all. Take time to indulge and treat myself.

I will post a few pictures from the Croatian adventures tonight or tomorrow, as well as a few more thoughts. There is so much to say and then nothing at all. Lisa and I sat comfortably in complete silence on the flight home, until one of us would just burst out laughing at an amusing thought or obnoxiously funny memory...

People stretched the world over have their differences, but I think it is certain that the kindness of strangers is a universal language. Croatians, the French, Norwegians, English, and so forth. They like to drink and enjoy the night and laugh and explore. Although we ran into language barriers with several groups of people we met, Lisa and I hand-motioned and smiled and translated our way into new friendships, and so it was that we departed Croatia perhaps feeling the world is a little smaller.

My friend here is taking a new yoga class. The mantra from last night's session is simple and true:

My life is good. I am blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was good to come acrioss such a positive blog. You wrote "Although we ran into language barriers..." and that prompts me to ask if you've ever looked at Esperanto. Esperanto is a planned international language - which is used by quite a number of people in Croatia, and perhaps a couple of million people worldwide. Take a look at www.esperanto.net