Monday, April 7, 2008

I realized I don't have to be here

I did dinner with a good friend this past Thursday night at a fabulous joint in Hollywood called Citizen Smith. Old school tunes rocked the room, spun by a DJ in the corner, and our server ignored us half the night, but beyond that, it was a great find. Oh, and I also have to ignore the fact that their credit card machine was down that night and my friend had to drain his wallet of cash to support our gluttonous desires. We split a bunch of different dishes: BBQ shrimp on toast, fried chicken and waffles, jalapeno mac 'n' cheese. We had ourselves some soul food!

And a soulful conversation! My friend is an explorer like me and we frequently talk about what's on our "LA List of To Dos" as well as our favorite cities and latest travel adventures, where we want to go when we're done with LA. He knows I have an inkling to explore and that I'm open to new career opportunities so he said to me, "Why don't you explore outside of LA for those opportunities?"

That amazingly simple thought had never occurred to me. I just sort of figured I'd be here a while, but I also figure I won't be here in the long term. That single statement has opened up so many doors of ideas and dreams and thoughts! I've got nothing to stop me.

Now, I just have to figure out what I want...if only that were easy. Choices in life are wonderful to have but they make the decision-making process difficult.

But, as my friend said, "Jo, if that's your problem, then that's a fantastic problem to have."

I suppose he's right.

No comments: