Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Hello, DC. It's been a while. You look fabulous!

Dear Washington, D.C.,

I flew in last night and I couldn't have been more excited. I wanted to tell my obnoxious co-worker to shut up in the cab so that I could just be thoughtful and nostalgic; so that he could allow me that quiet time to swim and sink deep into all of our old memories. Because, don't you know? Some of the best times of my life have been spent with you.

The September night was soft as ever and the warm night air wrapped around my shoulders like a cloak. I miss these trees, that green, these historic streets. If I could, if I had the right opportunity, I might be tempted to come here, to explore you once again...

Today I slept in as much as I could, let that eastern sun come shining through my walls of windows to wake me, natural and sweet. We set up our booth at the convention center and then enjoyed a long delicious lunch at Ulah's on U and 13th. The exposed brick walls and honey-colored maple floors made me ache. Ever more, the oldies and Marvin Gaye oozing from the stereo made us sway as we ate your crab cakes, chomped on the arugula, sipped wine in the yellow September afternoon.

Tonight I will stroll your streets in the balmy and inky dark. I will see the capitol glow and I will remember. I will remember all of those wonderful weekends my parents brought me into the city to appreciate the moments, the history. I will remember the wonder I felt then. I will remember.

And next time? I won't let it go so long before I've come to see you, again. I will be back, D.C. Because you're in my blood.

Yours, always,

Jo

No comments: