Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Hope and I


The Hope Hygieia. Photo courtesy The Getty, Los Angeles.

My two closest work friends and I were underneath the stars, rubbernecking the buildings and city lights that surrounded us, nibbling on manchego and dainty butter cookies. I thought to myself how urban Museum Row and Miracle Mile feels at night. Los Angeles, such a fickle city, managed to surprise me once again.

We were nestled in a courtyard at LACMA at a private reception and tour of the Hearst collection and Vanity Fair exhibit. I have decided, now, that I much prefer the museums at night. Tonight, LACMA was tranquil and warm. There was something inviting about the red glow of the lights inside the onsite cafe that led us in to have some wine pre-viewing. And our tour guide was knowledgeable, personal; a wonderful story teller. Can't these receptions be every month?

All of the art was fascinating, but one piece in particular I was drawn to. The Hope Hygieia, Goddess of Health. Our guide discussed details of Roman sculpture but one comment about The Hope made me smile. Our guide said, "See how she's standing, how she looks away. It's not that she is is avoiding your eyes. She just has other things to think about."

Isn't there something lovely about that?

1 comment:

Princess Pointful said...

That is actually a really lovely quote.
I always forget how inspiring galleries and museums are until I go to a new city. It is like I forget they exist in my own backyard.