Sunday, December 7, 2008

The little things

Today

I have spread wet linen
On lavendar bushes,
I have swept rose petals
From a garden walk.
I have labeled jars of raspberry jam,
I have baked a sunshine cake;
I have embroidered a yellow duck
On a small blue frock,
I have polished andirons,
Dusted the highway,
Cut sweet peas for a black bowl,
Would the tall clock,
Pleated a lace ruffle. . .
Today
I have lived a poem.

~Ethel Romig Fuller

Sometimes I find that it's the little things that are most satisfying. I seem to have tossed my to-do list aside this weekend. I didn't run the errands I wanted to; I didn't go into the office. I laughed until my throat ran dry at my work Christmas party on Friday night. I spent a lazy Saturday morning watching television with my roommate. I hiked alone through the lush green California hills. I had drinks with Infatuation and friends. Made tomato-cream soup, sprinkled with fresh basil. I slept in 'til nearly noon on Sunday. Had an afternoon glass of wine near the ocean with friends. Started to read a new book. Folded towels; held them to my face to breathe in the lavendar.

And that's all I needed.

No comments: