Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Let's get one thing straight here

I've been trying to avoid saying anything but I can't keep it in.

For all of those dimwits who are saying that last night was the "best night of my life," let's clear this up: you need to get out more often; your sentiments make me gag. To the Cat Lady in my apartment complex this morning who assumes, because I am young and live in California, that I am a Democrat, who told me "Today is a new day!" this morning: Screw You. To my Facebook friend who said she no longer needs to flee the country because Obama won: get a life.

All of my vacations and weekends and wine trips and nights out with friends and family were greater moments in my life than last night. And that goes for no matter what party line I fall upon, for any winning scenario.

And to the Republicans who are mourning and touting that this is a "national tragedy": c'mon, it's not a tragedy. Stop crying, move on. It's not that big of a deal. Have a tissue.

For any person to think that one person has the power, the lever, to change this country day to night and to change the world - that is absurd, at least in this country. What about Congress? What about your city council and propositions and even just your local PTO board?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I voted for Obama and wanted to see "change" but i think my definition of change was more along the lines of "let's give someone besides a silver haired Republican white man a chance" than "Obama won, now i won't have to pay rent!" kinda change.

What i think got lost in all of this back-patting by guilty white people who voted for a black guy is that every gay marriage ban passed. In an election where everyone is cheering about the huge strides we've made in social progress, they seem to have forgotten about another major minority group who took a large step back.
No matter what side of the issue you are on, i think we can agree that the self-congratulations by all the people who are cheering "change" is ironic, at best.