Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I'm a tired bear


It’s 4-something here in the afternoon and I am a bit worn down and tired. Filled with carrots and German chocolate cake (don’t ask), my body is telling me it’s nap time rather than work time. While debating whether to have yet another cup of my favorite hazelnut coffee, I will write. Some Jo Mamma Updates:

Someone hit my car on New Year’s Eve and so I am driving around in an Acura with its left front bumper half ripped off. I feel as though people are judging me. “There’s the girl who must be a real shithead driver.” In parking lots, people avoid me if they can (quite a difficult thing to do in Los Angeles) and I avoid eye contact at stop lights. I know what they’re looking at! Anyhoo, I am quite anxious to get it fixed and very grateful that I ended 2008 that way, rather than starting a new year with the wrong kind of bang!

My favorite dinner date and I are hitting up a Spanish tapas joint in WeHo on Friday night. I’m not sure what is going on with me, but it’s tapas, tapas, tapas. I can’t get enough of small plates, small bites and tapas. When I was in DC this past spring, I went to a good Spanish tapas restaurant in Georgetown so I am anxious for more. While Los Angeles lacks many of what I would consider to be traditional wine bars (cozy, more wine than meals, more seats than tables), they are abundant in the tapas space. In my mind, tapas offer the perfect drawn out dinner with an old friend, an ideal date environment or the perfect late night snack.

Moving on…my travel schedule is a bit hectic for 2009. I calendared it out last night and it felt strange for me to look at a calendar—an entire year!—and to say to myself, “Gee, things are getting tight. There’s just not enough time.” Time, time, time. Coming up on my travel docket for 2009, here goes (and bear in mind I’m excluding the 8 + Arizona trips): upstate New York, Maryland, Miami, Vegas (two-three times, yikes!), hopefully Nebraska, ski trip (I can handle just northern CA if I can’t fly anywhere) and a few drop-ins to San Diego. For work I’ll be off to Minnesota, NYC, Chicago, DC and Philadelphia. Possibly San Francisco. Most of these trips are for work or for other people, but what do I want? Wine tasting! Skiing! I wanted to swing a quick trip to Europe.

I can’t and won’t do it all, that is for sure. *shrug* Boo.

Back to the grind.

No comments: