Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Jo's favorite things

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudels
Door bells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things
~ My Favorite Things by Rodgers and Hammerstein

Two occasions yesterday inspired this post. I was walking with a co-worker to get some lunch, and I mentioned to him that I was due to see an art exhibit this coming weekend.

"Do they serve wine there?" He asked.

"Wine? Is that what you said?" I replied.

"Yes, wine! Wine and art, aren't those two of your favorite things?"

And then, later that day, I was grabbing some coffee with another co-worker and Lord knows what I said, but he replied with a laugh, "I would love to have a store. A store with just Joanna's favorite things." He had the greatest, widest grin on his face.

And so, in honor of these two brief moments in time, the beginning of my Favorite Things List (in no particular order):

skinny hazelnut lattes
green tea (no sugar, no cream, nothing)
art
red wine
clean sheets
the smell of cotton
sugar scrub
a good night's sleep
golden retrievers
letters, old fashioned and hand written
saying "thank you"
naps
lilies and tulips
crisp white blouses
sundresses
peacoats
gouda, havarti and parmesan cheese
post-it notes
used book stores and libraries
school/academia
the news - in general (online, tv, etc)
champagne
bubble baths
candles
old friends
flip flops
tans
a clean kitchen
thin crust pizza
fountain pens
black and white photos
blankets
my eye mask for when I sleep
Aveeno lotion
povi
the smell of my parents' house
stars
red nail polish
details
honesty
hamburgers
golf hats
stationary
garlic
New York Times Sunday Magazine
local restaurants (non chain)
live music venues
sand in my toes
grapefruit

The list could go on and on and on....

More, later.

No comments: