Thursday, January 29, 2009

Thursday afternoon musings

My manager and VP are away, so the kids can play…

The nights are warm once again and the whole city is graced with light. Dinner with G last night at Katsuya was divine; not necessarily the plate but the company. Over sushi, saki and cedar-planked salmon G and I truly caught up on life, as we always do. We were surrounded by industry types and size zeros and models in dresses that hovered just a quarter-inch above Ass Crack. Our Katsuya Kuriosity is now satisfied and we can move on to the next thing, as there will always be next things in this city. Next!

Today it’s all about the simple pleasures. Sundress weather has returned to Los Angeles so that means afternoons are spent dreamily gazing out the windows, into the light. We snuck away to get a latte this afternoon, walking past block after block of Angelenos stuck in traffic, trapped in their auto-boxes—suckers! Back at the office, it’s headphones promptly placed and Pandora on, all day. Coffee and Pandora and email jokes passed back and forth; homemade jokes of silly banter and cut-and-paste Google images. That’s what gets us by.

Tonight I see those old familiar Maryland friends of mine, the ones that I rode the school bus with when I was just in third grade, give or take. Fast forward 15 years and here we all are, joined together in the same city to wine and dine on a Thursday night, as though not a moment has passed. We’re still US, we’re just…bigger. Isn’t that lovely?

I’ve been struggling with restlessness lately. Not restlessness in the way of job or moving, but just to travel, to book a flight—anywhere! To calm this monster inside, I’m planning a few random things to curb my cravings. I’m like a crack addict, but merely addicted to the stale air of planes and the junk food of airports, addicted to that routine of grabbing the suitcase from the storage closet and planning ahead. A group of us will go wine tasting up north come early March. Wine and shenanigans, that oughtta help. And next weekend, G and I are going skiing, just for the day and then later, perhaps a month or so from now, we’ll head up to Mammoth where the real powder lies.

G’s job is ending and he could be moving soon. He could be leaving Los Angeles in four weeks or four months, it’s all so uncertain.

I will miss my best friend and favorite dinner date.

No comments: