Monday, October 13, 2008

Baby turtles and wine

It's a good week, good week. The 10+ hours I worked this weekend has paid off and today was fabulous. My presentations for New York are done! I actually left work on time! (*gasp!*) And I am loving this fall weather we're having in Los Angeles. It felt so good tonight to be out with Roomie strolling around the B-wood, especially when my ears started to freeze and go numb. God, I love that.

We stumbled upon a baby turtle on our walk. I almost stepped on it and then literally hopped out of the way. I think I startled Roomie, but as I stepped back to reveal that there was a baby turtle in the walk way, she leaned down and said, in a baby voice, "Ohhhh. Baby TURTLE!". I told her to kick it to see if it was alive and she looked at me like I was Ultimate Asshole. But then she kicked it and we realized it was a mere lost Turtle Toy. Plastic. It was only 10 minutes later, as we're walking back to our homes, that I told her, "Not once did we stop to think that there aren't turtles roaming about Brentwood naturally. We fell for that crap."

I'm writing this as Roomie Deux and I are having our Wine and Smut TV night. I've gotten used to the way she talks to the television. The first few weeks I was thrown off, not quite sure if it was me or the Gossip Girls that she was talking to. But now, as I write and she randomly shouts at the TV and joins in the TV dialogue, it's all becoming quite like white noise to me.

We've decided to roast a turkey once a week leading up to Thanksgiving. Each time we're making different side dishes and desserts and hosting a different group of friends. The greatest thing we have in common is a love for food and recipes and mysterious kitchen gadgets. When we're in that teensy tiny kitchen, we're like two sailors on a ship. We shuffle around, spill flour on the floor, and occassionally utter a "Taste this," or a "Right behind you," or an "I got it!". We scoot back and forth and contort our bodies so that when cabinets are open above and the fridge door is open below we still manage to shuffle and shift and get the job done. It's wonderful.

I've been lucky here in Brentwood, in all aspects, but--especially--when it comes to roommates.

No comments: