Sunday, October 5, 2008

A perfect match

"I'm making soup tonight. I'm undecided between two recipes. One is a traditional cream based, and the other uses bell peppers to add a certain twist."

And so began my second date this weekend. I went on two dates. One went really well (the first) and I had a great time. But "well" is boring. So I'll talk about the second date.

While the second date went equally as well as the first, I am pretty sure the guy is gay. If he isn't gay, he's extremely metrosexual and--let's just face it--eventually I'll either scare him or he'll just annoy the hell out of me. It won't go anywhere.

We went to this joint by the ocean in Malibu. I have to give him points for his planning skills, because it was a great location. How can you beat this? Mid-70s, sipping mojitos on a deck overlooking the ocean, lounging on huge white seaside ottomans in the sun. At one point, we even stopped chatting for a good five minutes to admire the dolphins' swimming pattern in the water.

We talked food the entire way to Malibu. I knew, by the time the 15-minute ride was over, that it wasn't going to work but I relished in our discussion of tomato soup and summer squash. I was tickled. Knowing it wasn't going to work, I sighed and stretched my legs out from beneath my white sundress in a relaxed manner, adjusted my sunglasses and grinned. We got out of the car and I immediately pounced on his shoes--Where did you get them? I love them!--and I could tell by his facial expression that he marinated within the current of the compliment. Macy's. A 60-percent off sale. Plus, they were mismarked in price so I got an even better deal.

And there it goes. The begining of our story, a match. Only not a romantic one.

He criticized the mojitos. Normally, they crush the mint. It appears they compensated the no crushing by adding an extra handful of leaves. If you crush the leaves with your straw, Joanna, it should help. He was making grilled cheese to go with his tomato soup that night and wanted my advice. What sort of cheese do you typically use? I'm thinking swiss. He inquired after the grocery store in my neighborhood. Should I go there to pick up supplies? What do you think of it, pretty nice or no?

And all the while, I swam through the conversation in glee. I laughed and he laughed right along and I saw myself smiling back at me in my reflection within his Gucci sunglasses.

We analyzed restaurants. He went on about some French-American fusion place he went to on Friday night. I ordered the house cocktail, a gibson. And then we had poached quail eggs and...and I swam, and swam just like the dolphins in his words.

A success? I think so.

After the date, I spoke to my parents on the phone.

"Did you get a lot of work done today?" my Dad asked.

"No! I had some cocktails in Malibu and I think my date is gay, but--"

"Gay!? Why is he gay?"

"I just think he is. But nevermind about that, he's my new foodie friend."

"Jeanne!" Dad called across the house to Mom. "Hear this? Joanna went on a date with a gay guy and has a new foodie friend!"

And I couldn't be more happy about it.

No comments: