Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Writers, Cessnas and Brooklyn, oh my!

I have to laugh, just in anticipation of New York. The friends I am seeing in New York are quite an eclectic bunch and I suspect good times will be had. Two of my good girlfriends are there, and the interesting thing about them is that although I went to high school with them, we didn't become close until mid-college. Another friend, from Jersey, is one of my closest and dearest friends from college, a dude. But he knows me so well and we are so close that if I could stuff him in a bridesmaid's dress one day I would.

Anyway, last time I was in New York, it was post-breakup, a year ago. My one girlfriend in the city was busy working three jobs at the time. She had just moved there a few months prior, having moved there to become a writer, brave girl. The other one was so entrenched in the advertising world at the time that she was busy that weekend with photo shoots and commercial filming. That left me to hang out with my friend's older boyfriend. We had quiet breakfasts together in Brooklyn before I would grab my coat and go off alone. I got a manicure from a Philippine woman. I exchanged business cards with the owner of a wine bar in the West Village (I hope to see him again, this trip!). I went to MoMA by myself in the rain on a Friday night. It was fabulous.

This trip will be different. The guy is coming in from Jersey on Saturday to see me. The writer girl...well, she's writing! And for none other than the New York Times, damn it! And the advertising chick is now a Publishing Chick and she's got much regular business hours. Her boyfriend is now a licensed pilot and she wrote me this morning to see if I wanted to fly this weekend.

He wants to know if you have any interest in going flying...we would have to go to Morristown, New Jersey. It takes about half a day to do. It would be in a small Cessna. Feel free to say no. He is so excited about flying in general he wants to take everyone...it is cute!

I started laughing when I read this, because I envisioned myself in a teeny Cessna flying to God-knows-where on the east coast. Of all things to do during a trip to New York! And for many, that might be unusual or seem strange, but for myself and these friends, not really.

Anyway, I don't really have plans when I am there. But I'm excited to go. And to see these friends, this eclectic, funny bunch that I love so much.

2 comments:

A Margarita said...

Awesome! You're going to have a blast! The weather is great right now - not too hot and not too cold. Have a safe trip.

Anonymous said...

I have a friend from Morristown...supposed to be a cool place. She lives in Jersey City now so if your plans fall through, maybe i can facilitate a meeting. I think you'd like her. She knows her way around town well. She went on a cool New York graffiti search today and found some insane stuff.

Have a good trip!